Many people wonder why photographers charge such hefty fees for their services. After all, the session you spend with them is only 1-2 hours long, right ?? Well, that is actually the easiest part of the photographer's job -- capturing images of beautiful faces. It's when the subject leaves the studio that the real work begins......
- For each hour spent with the subject/model/family, there is about 6 hours of processing those images that follows. To locate and create 10 beautiful photos from the 200 or so snapped during the session, it's a very lengthy process.
- For each additional hour of shooting, add another 200 raw photos to be processed, resulting in yet another 6 hours of work.
- Before any of the shoot can take place, photographers must select the perfect outdoor setting or studio set-up. Add another 2-3 hours to the job.
- Every client wants their photos burned to disc, and they want it done fast and first. Add additional time for fielding phone calls (who can afford a receptionist ??) and burning disc.
- Once the disc is complete, some clients want their disc shipped. Add another hour spent standing in line at the post office (we are way too old-school and keep way too bizarre a schedule to have Mr. UPS come to us.....).
- If there are any photos that are not pleasing to the client, add additional time for reprocessing.
- If the client wants their photos put on a canvas, or any other medium, that's potentially another hour, based on the complexity and size of the job.